Sunday 28 March 2010

Spent some time in hospital...

With my little Silke, who gave me a huge fright on Tuesday.  She was 100% well on Monday, and then in the night climbed into our bed breathing a bit fast and she seemed to have a chest infection, so in the morning I took her to the dr, who sent her to the children's ward at the Royal Surrey Hospital, who saved her life...

As she had pneumonia, and was having an ashtma attack, and both me and the young stupid gp I took her to was too dumb to realize this.  The fear which gripped me when they told me that she needs to go onto a ventilator as she cannot breathe by herself...  The guilt I am still going through every day because I should have realized sooner.

But I prayed, and the doctors and nurses worked and pumped her veins and lungs with medicine and she amazingly WOKE UP!!  Luckily before they put her in a coma and onto a ventilator - the thought of which fills me with dread.  And 10 minutes after she woke up she stuck her tongue out at the doctor, and asked me to read her the same story I read before she fell asleep again and again.  And told me that she was so tired that she nearly went to sleep forever...

Please look after your children, be paranoid, watch them carefully, waste the doctors time - rather you do than you don't and its too late.

That night they came every hour to nebulise her and check on her when her oxygen levels dropped when she pulled the mask off in her sleep.  I have never experienced such care and attention.  About 4 different doctors also came to see her.  We had our own room and she had CBeebies and a dvd player which made the long days more bearable.  And the staff were sooo patient whether it was taking 15 minutes to talk her into taking her medicine or the physiotherapist playing phone with her for half an hour to listen to her chest in return. I will never forget waking early on the second morning listening to Silke chattering away to the nurse about rabbits and ducks while they were nebulising her.  When they took off her drips she immediately got up and started running around between the play room and her room and her new friend's brother's room.

She bounced back really quickly and it sometimes feels like it wasn't real, maybe just a bad dream.  But it wasn't and I will never forget it.

No comments: